Photo Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6241053243 carabros via http://compfight.com Compfight https://www.flickr.com/help/general/#147 cc
Starting a daily yoga practice can be daunting. But here are some useful tips to help you make it to the mat each day.
- How much time do you spend on yoga currently? Be grateful for any amount of time you invest in it, because while electronic gadgets and social networks are vying for your time, you have carved out time to devote to yourself.
- Think about how amazing you feel during yoga class and immediately afterward. If you committed to a daily practice of yoga, you could experience those benefits every day.
- Pick a time that will work for your schedule and then choose how long you will practice… even if that is 15 minutes. Set a timer.
- Choose a location in your house where you can use part of a wall. Some days the only energy you may be able to muster will be to put your feet up a wall (viparita karani). Commit to keeping your date with the mat, no matter what!
- If you are unsure what poses to do, or how to sequence them, follow a video. Some excellent, free resources are available on youtube.com. A few of my favorite yogis are Brett Larkin, Sarah Beth, Leslie Fightmaster, and Candace.
- Finally, if you miss a day, a week, a month… do not berate yourself. Do not be angry. Just go back to the mat. It will forgive you. Do the same for yourself.
“Yoga allows you to rediscover a sense of wholeness in your life, where you do not feel like you are constantly trying to fit broken pieces together.”
― B.K.S. Iyengar, Light on Life